surprise surprise

Please don't get mad--I''m computer illiterate.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

so much for new year resolutions.....
well..... anyway, i'm working another three day shift. each day that passes at work.... the more and more i become comfortable that i am in the right profession... well... at least i think so. to be honest, the winter season brings in a lot of sick people. like i mentioned before, there are codes that happen at least 2 or three times a week that i have observed. anyway, today i had a patient who was a DNR (do not resuscitate) and it's ironic how a person who spends a mere 12 hours or less with a family can, at the end of the night, end up hugging them and keeping them in my prayers. I've dealt with dying patients in the past already. within the 6 months that i've worked here, already 4 patients of mine unfortunately and/or fortunately have passed. it is unfortunate.... b/c there is a loss of a life... but depending on the situation.... it is better off that way.... no more suffering. at my hospital, there is a palliative care doctor who is actually known as dr. death b/c he provides comfort care for the patients who are expected to pass. he deals with the family's concern and focuses on making the passing less painful and more comfortable. he helped me with one of my patients two weeks ago.... i spent one shift in that room and i spent the ride home that night... crying. of course i kept my composure in front of the family, but after i left work, it all hit me... life is very fragile......
i'm sorry for my confusing blog.. i just needed to vent.....

1 Comments:

Blogger kay said...

Hi Em! Hope all is well up in the world of visalia! give my love to brian as well! i start work on the 23rd so i will soon be able to empathize with you. take care my sweets!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home